Saturday, August 4, 2012

Mash-up Review of the Ages

Note
I realize that I didn't review the other two of this series, but I hope that people can forgive me because the blog didn't exist at the time of their release. I will be reviewing all future releases in the series and hope that this will keep you interested.
-T. McNerd
----------------

There is really only one way to describe IDW's Star Trek and Doctor Who mash-up. It's like the two things that every geek loves got together one day and had a baby. A wonderful, beautiful baby that has fulfilled my biggest fantasy every. Captain Kirk and Tom Baker in the same room fighting the Cyber Men.

Of course that happens towards the end of the comic. Oh, did I mention? SPOILER ALERT, SPOILER ALERT!!!


The third issue picks up where the second left off, with Captain Picard and the entire crew of the enterprise, plus the Doctor (Matt Smith incarnation) staring out at a fleet of Borg and Cyber Men. They are then hailed by one of the ships which shows a Cyber Controller that has been augmented with Borg technology telling the crew that they, "Have no means of stopping us."

Picard, realizing that the Enterprise has no hope of putting a dent in the fleet, commands Data to pilot the Enterprise to safety. To escape the fleet they fly off to a nearby nebula to hide and gather their wits.

Once safe, Picard begins looking over the Star Fleet records. The records reveal that there was only one prior experience with the Cyber Men which involved the original Enterprise and crew.

From there an adventure starring Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and The Doctor (Tom Baker) ensues. I won't spoil that part for you, because you need to read the comic to fully appreciate the beauty of the adventure.

Overall, this installation was a step forward for this series. I felt that the first two didn't have a lot going on in them to hold my attention, while this one definitely picks up the pace. While the other two need to be read to fully appreciate what is going on, I do like the speed up in pace in this one. If issue four continues on the pace that this one had set, then we should all expect a very good issue.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As usual, leave a comment if you feel like I left anything out or you have a different opinion. I would like to remind anyone interested that i am looking for a guest writer for the blog in the near future. If you are interested in writing for the blog, please send me an email at tmcnerd@gmail.com. The email should include your name, what you do or a way to promote yourself a bit, if you want to, and your article. I will email you if I choose your article and you will be given full credit on the blog.
Now go forth, and nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment